Oak Hollow Park is a great place to visit in Latrobe PA if you’re looking for a bit of nature in your life. The park has a number of walking trails, as well as a playground and a pond. It’s a great spot for a picnic lunch, or just to take a break from the city.
The park offers various amenities such as picnic groves, 2 separate playgrounds, multiple pavilions, soccer fields, basketball court, and landscaped greenery.
It is also a great place to have a picnic, with its well-maintained picnic groves. However, there are a few things you need to remember when using them:
- The picnic groves are first come, first served, so be sure to arrive early if you want a good spot.
- There are charcoal grills available for use, but please bring your own charcoal and lighter fluid.
- There are trash cans and recycling bins available, but please be sure to clean up after yourself and recycle when possible.
- Pets are welcome in the park but must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Be aware of the park’s hours of operation and observe any posted signage or closures.
On the other hand, the park is a great place for kids to play and explore. Some things you need to remember when letting your kids play on the playgrounds in the park include:
- Make sure your kids are supervised at all times.
- The playgrounds can be slippery, so make sure your kids are careful when playing.
- There are several different play areas, so make sure your kids know which ones are safe to play on.
- The park is open from dawn until dusk, so make sure you’re aware of the hours before bringing your kids.
- The park can be crowded on weekends, so be prepared for that if you’re bringing your kids to play.
- Make sure you and your kids are aware of the park’s rules before entering.
Also, the park is home to several pavilions which can be used for picnics, gatherings, or events. When using any of the pavilions in the park, remember the following:
- Pavilions must be reserved in advance by contacting the Latrobe Recreation Department.
- There is a fee to reserve a pavilion.
- Pavilions are available on a first-come, first-served basis during the times they are not reserved.
- All pavilions have charcoal grills and electricity.
- Alcohol is not permitted in the park, but not on any of the playgrounds.
And as mentioned, the park has athletic facilities for visitors to use, including soccer fields and a basketball court. When using these facilities, there are some things you need to remember.
For the soccer fields, make sure you have plenty of water with you, especially if it’s a hot day. The fields can get pretty dusty, so you’ll want to keep hydrated. Also, be sure to clean up any trash you produce while you’re there – the park relies on visitors to help keep it clean.
The basketball court can be a lot of fun, but please be aware that there is no backboard. This means that shots that go off the backboard or rim may not be counted as points. Have fun and be safe while using the court.
Moreover, the park is a great place to spend an afternoon outdoors. There are plenty of things to do and see, so here are some tips to make the most of your visit:
- Be sure to wear comfortable shoes – The park is quite large and there are lots of paved and unpaved paths.
- Stop by the playground if you have kids – It’s one of the largest in the area and has something for everyone.
- Bring a picnic lunch or enjoy one of the many food options available at the park.
- Check out the pond – There’s a great walking path along it and it’s a beautiful spot to relax.
- Take a break in one of the pavilions – They’re perfect for picnics or just taking a break from the sun.
And finally, the park also has a pond where you can fish. When fishing at the pond in the park, you need to remember the following:
- You must have a valid Pennsylvania fishing license in order to fish at the pond.
- The pond is open from sunrise to sunset.
- You are only allowed to catch and keep bass, bluegill, and catfish.
- You are not allowed to use bait that contains any type of preservative.
- There are no public restrooms or water fountains at the pond, so plan accordingly.
All in all, Oak Hollow Park is truly a must-visit place if you’re looking for a great place in Latrobe PA.