Are you ready to experience the wonders of Western Pennsylvania? Then, you simply must visit the Westmoreland Heritage Trail in Murrysville, PA. A trail-goer’s paradise, this 17-mile route from Delmont to Saltsburg grants hikers, bikers, and horseback riders alike an opportunity to escape into nature while soaking up the fresh air—what could be better? Before heading out on your outdoor excursion, here is all that you need to know.
Traveling along the old Pennsylvania Railroad line, which ran from the late 1890s until 1970, the trail provides an unmatched opportunity to uncover and explore Western Pennsylvania’s rich history. Suitable for hikers of all abilities, this picturesque route meanders through woods and open pastures, offering a breathtaking journey into nature.
The trail offers a number of entry and exit points, providing you with the freedom to hop in or out at any point. Get on or off the path wherever you please—Delmont, Export, Murrysville, Trafford, and Saltsburg all provide ample parking opportunities and close proximity to restrooms as well as picnic areas.
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced hiker, the trail is accessible to everyone. The terrain has been meticulously groomed to provide a comfortable and even surface that will keep your feet happy. While there are some slight inclines and declines throughout the path, none of them prove too challenging. Not only is hiking allowed on this route, but biking and horseback riding can also be enjoyed here too.
To ensure the safety of all trail users and retain the Westmoreland Heritage Trail’s unblemished natural beauty for generations to come, visitors must adhere to a few simple rules. Such regulations include:
- When you are out on a walk, take the right side of the path and allow others to pass by on your left.
- To ensure the safety of your pet and all surrounding individuals, it is essential to keep them on a leash and in full control at all times.
- Pedestrians should be given the right of way over bicyclists and horseback riders.
- Follow the marked trails and refrain from entering wooded areas or off-trail fields.
The trail offers a plethora of stunning views that are sure to take your breath away. Here are just some of the highlights you can expect when traversing this remarkable path:
Murrysville – The Murrysville part of the trail is a definite must for any nature enthusiast. Not only does it meander through lush, tree-laden landscapes and provide stunning vistas of rolling hillsides; but there are also plenty of places to pause and soak in all that serenity, with numerous benches, resting areas, as well as picnic spots dotted along the route.
Slickville – Experience the panoramic vistas of Slickville—an exceptional destination for athletes, adventurers, and bird-lovers alike. Soak in the spectacular surroundings as you bike or take a stroll through its open fields and witness its majestic countryside views.
Trail Events – Throughout the year, you can join a variety of events held along the trail. Whether it be to take in some fresh air and admire nature or to understand more about its history, these occasions are perfect for everyone. The activities include:
- Trail Towns Festival – Held in Delmont, the Trail Towns Festival celebrates the communities along the trail with food, music, and other activities.
- Bike the Trail – This event is held in Murrysville and offers a chance to ride the entire length of the trail with other cyclists.
- Saltsburg Canal Days – Held in Saltsburg, this event celebrates the history of the canal that once ran through the town. There are boat rides, music, and other activities.
To make the most of your time here, try following these handy tips for a truly awe-inspiring adventure:
- Pack Enough Water – Staying hydrated is critical, so bring plenty of water with you when taking the trail in the summer months; it can get quite hot out there.
- Wear Sunscreen – When the sun is shining, it is a good idea to take precautions and protect your skin with sunscreen or headgear.
- Watch Out For Wildlife – Keep an eye out for your environment and be mindful of any wild animals, such as snakes and ticks.
- Bring a Map – It is recommended that visitors to the trail acquaint themselves with a map, which can be found at any of its access points.
- Respect Nature – Strive to leave the place better than you found it by taking care not to pick wildflowers or plants as you traverse the trails.
Visiting this trail during the fall and spring seasons offers a truly enriching experience, with mild temperatures, magnificent foliage, and an abundance of wildlife.
All in all, the Westmoreland Heritage Trail is an idyllic destination for a day in nature, boasting splendid sights and numerous access points. With its excellent maintenance and immense popularity among Murrysville, PA locals, it is no wonder this trail has become the go-to spot.
If you’re a fan of the great outdoors, this trail in Western Pennsylvania is for you. Whether it’s hiking, biking, or horseback riding that interests you, bring a picnic and take advantage of all this natural treasure has to offer – an unforgettable day awaits. Explore more places in Pennsylvania here.